The hotels located in Cayo Santa Maria were recreated in the architectural design of singular elements of what was formerly San Juan de los Remedios, founded in the XVI century, the eight between populations that were established by the Spaniards on the island. Its many small musical bands celebrated the Cayo.
The interior of the ship San Pascual was taken back after it was run aground in 1933 in the neighborhood of Cayo Frances. It is an authentic relic of the naval engineering of the time. This ship with reinforced concrete was built in 1920 in the shipyards of San Francisco, California. It was destined to transport honey but during World War II, the US troops established an air post.
The causeway that connects Cayo Santa Maria to the village of Caibarien received the Prize from the International Bridge de Alcantara, highest prize of all times received by Cuban civil engineers. The prize recognized the remarkable and excellent quality of the construction. Of the 46 structural points of this bridge, the engineers took into account the ecology of the region and the fact that the zone, crossed by a causeway, was one of the most attractive regions of Cuba. The diversity of its biological species and its many eco-systems could have been damaged during the construction that began in December of 1989.