For the perfection of its
landscape, Pinar del
Rio was nicknamed the Jardin de Cuba. Also known for producing
the best tobacco in the world, this province located in
the western part of the country, has a surface of 10 931.5
km and a population of 718 000 inhabitants. In 1774, it
was named Nueva Filipinas and four years later, the name
was changed to Pinar del Rio.
Since the XIXth century, the beauty of its nature has attracted
many settlers from Havana who went to visit La Cueva de
los Portales, and receive the benefits of the mineral-medicinal
and thermal waters of San Diego de los Baños and
to contemplate the Valle de Viñales.
Cayo Levisa is only at 2 hours from Havana and is accessible
from the Palma Rubia wharf.